We now move on to the final Chapter of Part I in the Pastoral Constitution on the Church in the Modern World: the role of the Church in the modern world. This is what the previous 3 chapters have been building towards.
Article 40 serves as the introduction to how the Church and the world interact. In a realy, yet mysterious, way, the Church does not complete Her mission until the coming of the Heavenly Kingdom. Nevertheless, She still has much to do here on earth.
Here are the footnotes:
1. Cf. Paul VI, encyclical letter Ecclesiam Suam, III: AAS 56 (1964), pp. 637-659.
2. Cf. Titus 3:4: “love of mankind.”
4. Second Vatican Council, Dogmatic Constitution on the Church, Chapter I, n. 8: AAS 57 (1965), p. 12.
5. Ibid., Chapter II, no. 9: AAS 57 (1965), p. 14; Cf. n. 8: AAS loc. cit., p. 11.
6. Ibid., Chapter I, n. 8: AAS 57 (1965), p. 11.
7. Cf. ibid., Chapter IV, n. 38: AAS 57 (1965), p. 43, with note 120.