Today’s reading from the Pastoral Constitution on the Church in the Modern World continues looking at the relationship between the Church and the world.
Being a people aware that our true home is in heaven, we nonetheless cannot neglect our earthly responsibilities. And our religious life and cannot be compartmentalized away from our daily living. Our faith must come to bear on our lives and, in turn, the world. The laity, bishops, and priests all have their roles in this.
Here are the footnotes:
13. Cf. Heb. 13:14.
15 Cf. Is. 58: 1-12.
17. Cf. John XXIII, encyclical letter Mater et Magistra, IV: AAS 53 (1961), pp. 456-457; cf. I: AAS loc. cit., pp. 407, 410-411.
18. Cf. Dogmatic Constitution on the Church, Chapter III, n. 28: AAS 57 (1965), p. 35.
19. Ibid., n. 28: AAS loc. cit. pp. 35-36.
20. Cf. St. Ambrose, De virginitate, Chapter VIII, n. 48: ML 16, 278.
21. Cf. Dogmatic Constitution on the Church, Chapter II, n. 15: AAS 57 (1965) p. 20.